Robbie Davies Jnr signs 3 year deal with Neil Marsh

Robbie Davies Jnr
Exciting Liverpool super lightweight, Robbie Davies jnr., has signed a three year extension to his contract with manager, Neil Marsh.
 
The 27 year-old first signed with the North West based manager in June 2015 and, in just over a year, the son of 1976 Olympian and hard hitting scouse light middleweight, Robbie Davies snr.,has seen his stock rise considerably. He won the WBA Continental belt in March 2016, successfully defended it a month later and gained a top ten ranking with the same governing body soon after
 
The news comes just as Davies’ next fight was also announced; a keep busy six or eight rounder in Wigan on December 10 ahead of what will be, according to Marsh and his charge, major title shots in 2017.
 
Davies said: “Since signing with Neil my career has really taken off. He got me the WBA shot against a good kid [Finland’s Jarkko Putkonen – never previously stopped] and I managed to get him out of there early. I defended the belt against another tough fighter [current Argentinian  and WBA Fedol champion, Xavier Castillo] and have risen to No.6 with the WBA.
 
“I’m happy with my management and happy with my trainers – Dave [Tonks] and Alan [Kaufman]. They get me physically and mentally ready for anyone. I’m more than happy with where we are going.
 
“Neil has worked hard to get me the opportunities I’ve had so far and, knowing who he has tried to get recently, I know he’s doing all he can for me to win bigger and better titles in future too. He shows me the emails he sends back and forth, even with massive names outside of Britain, names that may surprise some, so I know how hard he is working behind the scenes for me.”
 
Marsh said: “For me, Robbie is the best prospect in British boxing. We’ve only seen a fraction of what he can do and it’s no wonder he’s one of the most avoided fighters in the country. We tried to get him fights with Willie Limond, Lenny Daws and John Wayne Hibbert but they all turned us down. John would have got the biggest payday of his career but he said no and they got Tommy Coyle instead – for less money.
 
“We’ve big plans for Robbie in 2017 but he just needs a little fight to keep busy and that’s what we’ve got for him in Wigan.“
 
On his upcoming fight in December, Davies added: “I had two hard back-to-back camps for the WBA fights and, with some potentially massive ones next year, it makes sense for me to have a six or eight rounder then and work up to the bigger ones in the New Year.
 
“Once I have this fight in December I’ll have a week off then I’m staying in the gym over Christmas ready for a big fight in January or February. Just a week will do for me as I love training. Me and the lads have a laugh and it all works. It makes training enjoyable when you have a great team and good friends around you but Dave and Alan know when it’s time for the fun to stop and time to get serious. We all started this journey three years ago and, come 2017, the cream will rise to the top.”
 
Davies will appear on a DW Stadium bill that will also feature Preston’s Mick Hall in Central Area action, Liverpool’s Joe Wood, Blackpool heavyweight Bill Hodgson and Kirkham’s Adam Little v Sunderland’s Glen Foot in an eliminator for the British super lightweight title. 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*