By Elliot Foster
Stephen Smith has been offered another world title shot.
The Liverpool super-featherweight, who is currently the WBC Silver champion, fell short earlier this year.
Smith, 31, was outpointed by IBF champion José Pedraza of Puerto Rico when he challenged him for the crown in April at Foxwoods Casino & Resort in Connecticut.
He then returned just five weeks later, on the undercard of Tony Bellew’s historic WBC cruiserweight title win against Ilunga Makabu at Everton Football Club’s Goodison Park on May 29, exclusively live on Sky Sports.
His promoter Eddie Hearn told Instant Boxing last month that ‘Swifty’ will return on November 12 at the Salle des Étoiles in Monte Carlo, Monaco –– a venue at which both Gennady Golovkin, the world middleweight king, and former global ruler Ruslan Provodnikov have boxed.
And now it is understood that Smith (24-2, 14 KOs), who stopped Daniel Eduardo Brizuela to win the aforementioned fringe WBC belt, will face Jason Sosa for the WBA ‘regular’ belt.
Sosa (19-1-4, 15 KOs), 28, is from New Jersey in the United States. He won the Boxing Association belt in June when he stopped former custodian Javier Fortuna in the penultimate of 12 rounds in Beijing, China.
Hearn has told various sources that Smith has yet to agree to the fight, with discussions set to take place next week, but the Matchroom chief believes it is just a formality and a formal announcement will be made in due course.