LONDON – Former two-division world champion Canelo Alvarez (47-1-1, 33 KOs) and WBO Junior Middleweight World Champion Liam “Beefy” Smith (23-0-1, 13 KOs) today concluded their two-city international press tour at The Landmark Hotel in London ahead of their world championship showdown.
Canelo vs. Smith will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View®beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET/6:00 p.m. PT on Sept. 17.
Canelo Alvarez, Former Two-Division World Champion
- I want to thank everyone for the great welcome, I am happy to be back here in England.
- Liam is a great fighter, who is hungry to win. We know what’s in front of us, and we know he is dangerous. We will train like never before to give everyone a great fight, and give the fans what they want to see.
Liam “Beefy” Smith, WBO Junior Middleweight World Champion
- I want to thank Frank Warren, Box Nation, and Golden Boy Promotions. I have been wanting a big fight with one of the biggest names and I jumped at the chance to fight Canelo. This is a chance to make a big name for myself in America because the biggest name in boxing with the biggest draw is Canelo.
- A lot of people will be surprised that size will not be a factor in this fight.
Oscar De La Hoya, CEO & Chairman of Golden Boy Promotions
- It’s a pleasure to be here once again, I love coming to the UK, and can see that this country takes boxing serious. The UK is turning out some serious boxers and more current world champions than Mexico.
- This fight is for pride and honor – both fighters are fighting for their countries and putting the fight together with the best promoters to be an A-class event.
- We are extremely proud to be televising on HBO, our partners in the U.S. I also want to thank Frank and Box Nation for making Canelo vs. Smith the event of the year.
- Canelo is the biggest star in the sport today, he is a huge PPV attraction and a fighter who sells out arenas filled with 40,000 people. He is fighting a world champion who is dangerous.
- Liam is not going all the way to the U.S. to fold. He is an undefeated world champ, and knows how important this fight is.
- We will have various activities staged for Mexican independence weekend in the U.S. It will be big, taking place the whole weekend and will have millions of fans tuning in to witness a historical event with Team Canelo and Team Smith.
- The event will occur at AT&T Stadium, a state-of-the-art arena, home the iconic NFL team the Dallas Cowboys owned by Jerry Jones. This stadium holds about 100,000 people, and we expect a ton of Liam Smith fans. There will many of Canelo fans coming out in Texas, and we expect a sell-out.
- This will be a fun weekend, and we are serious that the real winners will be the fans. These are two fighters with tremendous records and great pride putting it all on the line to fight for the WBO Junior Middleweight World Title.
Frank Warren, Chairman of BoxNation
- Liam Smith will be making his third defense against the biggest name of boxing. We appreciate the big Texas welcome from Jerry Jones, as Cowboys Stadium hosts their third ever boxing match.
- When we were first offered this fight, we jumped at this opportunity. Liam can fight, he is one the best young fighters that has come out of Liverpool. Our guys have gone in on paper and had no chance, and came out defeating Hopkins.
- Then you have Ricky Hatton, and no one gave him a chance. He went in there and finished up his business. Liam has more chance than most–he can fight.
- Liam fights like a Mexican, and what he brings to the table will create fireworks. He will shock everyone in Dallas. The fans can be prepared for a really big shock.
- I would like thank everyone at Golden Boy Promotions for coming over and helping making this fight happen so we can show our man, Liam Smith and what he can do. Buy the tickets, because you won’t want to miss out on this fight in person!
Eddy Reynoso, Head Trainer of Canelo Alvarez
- I want to thank Frank Warren and the hospitality. He is by far the best promoter in the UK and with Team Smith, we know we have a complicated fight. Smith is a strong fighter, a young brawler, who is resilient and powerful, coming off 8 straight wins by knockout. He is a World Champ and deserves respect. We will be prepared take it very serious and be much disciplined going in. We will be hoping every fan comes to join us for the fight in Dallas, Texas.
Jose “Chepo” Reynoso, Manager and Trainer of Canelo Alvarez
- Thank you for coming, we are very happy to be here and happy to be in this beautiful country. It’s always a good feeling coming to see Howard Winston again.
- We are here to announce a great fight between undefeated world champ Liam Smith and Canelo.
- This will be a great fight between two great fighters, one champ who wants to defend his title and wants to conquer America, and by beating Canelo he would be on top of the world. That makes him very dangerous–the hunger to become a star. Despite the chin and the power, the eagerness of this fight makes him even more dangerous to us.
- We invite all of you all on September 17 to witness a great fight and know it will be one to enjoy for all fans.
Matthew Macklin, Manager of Liam Smith
- I want to thank Team Canelo for this opportunity, since winning the title we know patience is a virtue and it has paid off. Now Liam is fighting the biggest star in boxing and their styles will really mesh. He hasn’t fought anyone near the resume that Canelo has, but you have to make a name for yourself by taking on someone with a big reputation.
- I have known Liam a long time, and he only gets better and better. Fans will be in for a real treat, I can’t wait for September 17 at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium.
Joe Gallagher, Ring Magazine Trainer of the Year 2015 and Trainer of Liam Smith
- I want to give a warm welcome to Canelo, Chepo and everyone from Golden Boy Promotions.
- I have been to Dallas and seen the reasonably priced tickets, every fan now has a chance to go to the fight and see Liam defend his title.
- I know the UK fans will go out and support Liam. A lot of people don’t give him the credit, he is one of the best world champs in the UK right now.
- Liam has arrived, and this is his moment. I believe Canelo made a big mistake–losing to Smith will be harder than losing to GGG.
- This is going to be a great fight, both are power punchers, and the teams and the fans should be excited about this fight. The best one will win in the U.S., and loser will go back to Mexico.
Tickets for Canelo vs. Smith will go on sale, Thursday, July 21 at 10:00 a.m. PT/12:00 p.m. CDT/1:00 p.m. ET, and are priced at $750, $500, $300, $200, $100, $85, $50 and $40, not including applicable service charges with a total ticket limit of 8 per person. To charge by phone with a major credit card, call Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000. Tickets also will be available for purchase online at www.ticketmaster.com. Additionally, walk up purchases are available at the AT&T Stadium Box Office (Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. CT to 5:00 p.m. CT).