CAGUAS, P.R. – Abner Cotto did not make a conscious decision to take a year off, but after some difficult fights one after the other, no one would have questioned the lay-off.
In three of the last five fights for the native of Caguas, who was raised and developed in Aguas Buenas, he faced Omar Figueroa, Francisco Vargas, and Javier Fortuna, losing two by knockout and the other one by points, leaving his record at 18-3 and eight knockouts.
“All three of them became world champions after facing me,” said Cotto, 28, who will return in the co-feature of a boxing card promoted by Miguel Cotto Promotions on Saturday February 6 at the Coliseo Roger L. Mendoza in Caguas.
Cotto will battle Alvaro Ortiz (7-6-1, 4 KOs) of Mexico in an eight round bout. Cotto’s last bout was in November of 2014 and since his loss to Fortuna the current WBA super featherweight champion has not been in the ring but has stayed busy in the gym working out.
“I have never stopped training. I go to the gym to do some sparring and continue to run as well,” said Cotto, who trains at the Magos Boxing Club in Aguas Buenas under the tutelage of Efrain Roman and Armando Alamo.
“There have been some fights mentioned but nothing was able to get done,” said Cotto, who will move up to 135 pounds for his return against Ortiz.
“At 130 my body was dry, that’s why I am going up so I can eat better and will be stronger. I am ready to restart my career at weight that is better for me.” In the main event one of top prospects in the island, Alberto ‘El Explosivo’ Machado of Monte Hatillo, will risk his perfect record (12-0, 10 KOs) against José L. Araiza (31-14-2 y 22 KOs) of Mexico in an eight round bout.
This is the first of three cards in Caguas that Miguel Cotto Promotions in association with H2 Entertainment and Roc Nation Sports will present. The show is part of the 2015 Emmy nominated series Boxeo al Maximo and will include 10 bouts with some of the top young prospects from the Miguel Cotto Promotions stable, a company presided by boxing icon Miguel Cotto.
One the special attractions on the night will be the second professional bout of popular middleweight Magdiel Cotto of Comerio, a member of the Puerto Rico national team who represented the country in the 2014 Pan American Games. Magdiel will take on Joseph Velazquez of Arecibo who is debuting as professional in a four round bout.
Magdiel made his debut this past November 14, in the Comerio Municipal Auditorium and stopped Heriberto Salaman in the first round. “I was very exciting to have made my debut at home. I started boxing cautiously, but once I got going my shots started to land and found their mark,”, said the 22 year old boxer, who has not stopped training since then and is waiting on his second fight.
Other action will include Richie Rodríguez (4-0-1 y 3 KOs) taking on Eduardo Melendez (5-18, 1 KO) of San Isabel in a four round bout at 118 pounds as well as the undefeated prospect Tramaine Williams (9-0 y 3 KOs) of Connecticut seeing action in a six round bout.
In other bouts Kelvin Núñez (12-0 y 10 KOs) will take on Jonuel Tapia (8-5-1, 5 KOs) of Aguas Buenas in a six round bout at 190 pounds; Yomar Alamo (8-0, 7 KOs) of Aguas Buenas will battle Gabriel Diaz (5-9, 1 KO) of Guayana. Charlie Clemente (10-0, 4 KO), of Carolina, will be in action in a six round bout and Derrick Cuevas (6-0-1 y 4 KOs) of San Juan will take on Revlon Lake (7-12-2, 1 KO) of Guyana in a six round bout at 145 pounds. Finally, Carlos Colón (1-0), of will battle José Carmona (1-2) of Carolina in a four round fight at 130 pounds.