CAGUAS, P.R. – When Alberto “Explosivo” Machado makes his debut as a main event fighter on February 6 at the Coliseum Roger L. Mendoza in a card promoted by Miguel Cotto Promotions, it will be the beginning of a crucial moment in his professional career.
Machado, 25, is from Monte Hatillo and has a perfect record of 12-0 with 10 knockouts. Machado, who is a naturally right-handed but fights from the left-side, will battle the rough and experienced Jose L. Arraiza (31-14-2,. 22 KOs) of Mexico in an eight round bout.
“Miguel Cotto Promotions has moved Machadito at a good pace and has allowed him to develop very well,” said his manager and trainer Juan de Leon who is from Puerto Rico but resides in Buffalo, New York. “We know he can bang – Machado has five first round knockouts including his last three – but his fights have been very short and he needs to fight experienced opponents who can take his punch and keep going. We need to see him go some rounds to see how he does when he gets hit. This is a very important year for him to keep going and to start climbing the world rankings,” said De Leon, who is the brother of former world champion Carlos “Sugar” Leon.
De Leon already has in mind the type of fighters he would like Machado to face: Alberto Garza, who went 12 rounds with current world champion Jose “Sniper” Pedraza, or former world champion Billy Dibs. “I know sometimes these matches are difficult to make for promotional reasons, but I mention them because of their style,” added De Leon.
In the co-feature bout of the night that is part of the boxing series Boxeo Al Maximo and is presented by Miguel Cotto Promotions, Roc Nation Sports, and H2 Entertaiment, the experienced Abner Cotto (18-3, 8 KOs) of Aguas Buenas will return after a 14 month absence to face Edwin “Bazooka” López (26-5-1, 24 KOs) in an eight round bout, his first fight at 135 pounds. The show will include 10 bouts with some of the top young prospects from the Miguel Cotto Promotions stable, a company presided by Miguel Cotto.
One the special attractions of the night will be the second professional bout of popular middleweight Magdiel Cotto of Comerio, a member of the Puerto Rico national team who represented the country in the 2014 Pan American Games.
Magdiel will take on Joseph Velazquez of Aricebo, who is debuting as professional in a four round bout. Magdiel made his debut this past November 14, in the Comerio Municipal Auditorium and stopped Heriberto Salaman in the first round. “I was very exciting to have made my debut at home. I started boxing cautiously, but once I got going my shots started to land and found their mark,”, said the 22 year old boxer, who has not stopped training since then and is waiting on his second fight.
Other action will include Richie Rodríguez (4-0-1 y 3 KOs) of Mayaguez be taking on Eduardo Melendez (5-18, 1 KO) of San Isabel in six round bout at 118 pounds.
Undefeated prospect Tramaine Williams (9-0, 3 KOs) of Connecticut will see action in a six round bout against Mexican tough warrior Miguel Tamayo. In other bouts Kelvin Núñez (12-0, 10 KOs) will take on Jonuel Tapia (8-5-1, 5 KOs) of Aguas Buenas in a six round bout at 190 pounds; Yomar Alamo (8-0, 7 KOs) of Aguas Buenas will battle Gabriel Diaz (5-9, 1 KO) of Guayana.
Charlie Clemente (10-0, 4 KO), of Carolina, will be in action in a six round bout against Christian Lopez (3-5-2, 3 KOs) and Nick Colella (6-1, 4 KOs) of Bayamon will take on Revlon Lake (7-12-2, 1 KO) of Guyana in a six round bout at 145 pounds.
Finally, Carlos Colón (1-0), of will battle José Carmona (1-2) of Carolina in a four round fight at 130 pounds.
Boxeo Al Maximo is presented by Miguel Cotto Promotions, H2 Entertainment and Roc Nation Sports in association with the City of Caguas, and is sponsored by Ahorro Muebles, Ciclón Energy, Salsoul, Noti-Uno, and the newspaper La Cordillera. General Admission tickets are $15 and are available at the Roger Mendoza Coliseum in Caguas at all Ticket Center locations. Tickets can also be purchased by calling 787-792-5000 or visiting www.tcpr.com.